Business Interruption Grants

  • Manar: Applications now available for $60 million in Business Interruption Grants

    BIGGrants2 FBSPRINGFIELD – Governor JB Pritzker, the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity, and State Senator Andy Manar (D-Bunker Hill) announced this week that applications are now available for the new Business Interruption Grant program, which will make $60 million available for 3,500 small businesses affected by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

    "Working together, Governor Pritzker and the General Assembly made Business Interruption Grants a priority in this year's state budget,” Manar said. “Making sure small business owners in all parts of Illinois have access to much needed financial assistance is imperative as we continue to fight the ongoing impact of COVID-19. Small businesses are the backbone of our economy, and we should do everything we can to support them."

    Manar, a lead budgeteer in the Illinois Senate, successfully advocated for BIG funding in the new state budget, which was approved by the General Assembly last month.

    The BIG program, administered by DCEO, is part of over $900 million in new programs recently announced by Governor Pritzker, with a focus on restoring communities hit hardest by the pandemic.

    “This virus has had devastating effects on the health and livelihoods of our residents, and we must take aggressive action to help our families and communities recover,”said Gov. Pritzker. “As our small businesses reopen their doors, these grant programs will provide critical support to allow them to safely expand their operations. We cannot recover without our small businesses leading the way, particularly in communities that have been disproportionately impacted by this virus, and this administration is committed to using all resources at our disposal to help them thrive.”

    Grants will be made available for small businesses in amounts ranging between $10,000-$20,000, depending on business type and other eligibility criteria. Eligible businesses include restaurants and bars, barbershops and salons, and gyms and fitness centers.

    Businesses must also have been in operation for at least three months prior to March 2020.

    The first wave of BIG funding will prioritize businesses that have experienced extreme hardship, demonstrated by revenue losses exceeding the amount they are applying for and caused by following the state’s public health guidance. Priority will also be given to those located in disproportionately impacted areas. DIAs are low-income areas that have experienced high rates of COVID-19 cases.

    BIG funds may be used to help businesses cover the costs of payroll, rent, utilities and other working capital during the time they have experienced interruptions due to COVID.

    A full list of criteria, as well as the application, can be found on DCEO’s website. Businesses and community partners can assess their eligibility and gather any documents needed to complete the application before it opens for submission on Friday, June 26 at 9 a.m.

    All applications must be submitted by Monday, July 7 at 5 p.m.

  • The Majority Report 06/22/20 - A need for utility, housing instability and small business assistance

    majority-report-header-2014

    Lightford and other Black leaders host Juneteenth march for justice and police accountability

    Senate Majority Leader Kimberly A. LightfordBROADVIEW — Communities in the West Suburbs came together on Juneteenth to celebrate both the end of slavery and to continue the fight for justice, equality and police accountability.

    Senate Majority Leader Kimberly A. Lightford (D-Maywood) was joined by West Suburban Mayors Katrina Thompson, Andre Harvey, Edwenna Perkins, Rory Hoskins and other elected officials on Friday for a Juneteenth Police Accountability Protest.

    Lightford not only wanted to shine a light on Juneteenth, Freedom Day for slaves in America, but she also calls for police accountability after seeing Chicago police officers sleeping on the job in Congressman Bobby Rush’s office on the South Side of Chicago.

    Read more.

     


    Hastings: Utility assistance needed for COVID-19 recovery

    Electric MeterFRANKFORT — The Illinois Commerce Commission announced the decision to approve several consumer protection measures during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, many of which State Senator Michael E. Hastings (D-Frankfort) called for as leader of the Senate’s Energy and Public Utilities working group this past legislative session.

    “Throughout March and April, I met with my colleagues on the Senate’s Energy and Public Utilities working group and numerous stakeholders. Our charge was very simple: we had to arrive at a solution to protect consumers,” Hastings said. “I’m thankful that Chairman Zalewski and the ICC listened to our recommendations, allowing us to arrive at a helpful solution.”

    Read more.

     


    Aquino: Help is on the way for people and businesses affected by COVID-19, civil unrest

    Sen. Omar AquinoCHICAGO — Funds from a comprehensive relief package supported and negotiated by State Senator Omar Aquino (D-Chicago) aimed to support working families, small businesses and communities heavily impacted by COVID-19 and civil unrest will become available within the next month.

    Much of the relief comes from the new Business Interruption Grant program, which will provide financial assistance to small businesses affected by the pandemic. Additionally, the Illinois Housing Development Authority will launch a $5,000 grant program to provide emergency rental assistance to 30,000 renters impacted by the pandemic, as well as grants to assist homeowners with mortgage payments.

    Read more.

     

     

     


    Vote by mail program extended, thanks to Senator Morrison

    Vote-by-mailDEERFIELD — Illinoisans across the state will receive an application in their mailbox to vote from the comfort and safety of their home, thanks to a measure spearheaded by State Senator Julie Morrison (D-Lake Forest).

    “If you’re eligible to vote, you should be able to do so safely and securely. No one should have to worry about jeopardizing their health to practice their civic duty,” Morrison said. “It is vital that no eligible voter — regardless of age or health — end up disenfranchised by the current health crisis.”

    Read more.

     

     


     

    MEMBERS IN THE NEWS

    Senator Scott Bennett, Champaign: Special Delivery Aids Local Medical Professional | Vermilion County First

    Senator Jennifer Bertino-Tarrant, Shorewood: Pritzker signs bill to extend teacher licenses | State Journal-Register

    Senator Rachelle Crowe, Glen Carbon: Crowe highlights new grant program aimed to support child care providers | The Telegraph

     


    Copyright 2020 - Illinois Senate Democratic Caucus - All Rights Reserved

    Subscribe to The Majority Report

    %MCEPASTEBIN%
  • Jones encourages local businesses to apply for Business Interruption Grants

    jones 030519CHICAGO – After yesterday’s launch of the Business Interruption Grant program, State Senator Emil Jones III (D-Chicago) encourages local businesses to apply for more than $540 million in grants.

    “Businesses in disproportionately impacted areas were already in desperate waters, and it’s satisfying that the majority of these grants will be aimed towards helping restore these communities,” Jones said. “It’s important that opportunities continue to come to these neighborhoods, because they are ones who need it the most.”

    The Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity (DCEO) will offer $60 million in grants for the first round of BIG funding to small businesses harmed by the pandemic, many of whom have also seen damage as a result of recent civil unrest. The funds are intended to help small businesses stay viable through the pandemic, offset the cost of closures and restricted operations, and ensure they have the resources to reopen safely.

    Among other specific programs, DCEO plans to disburse $20 million across 1,000 grants of $20,000 each to businesses in disproportionately impacted areas with recent significant property damage. To qualify for these grants, businesses must have:

    • Brought in under $2 million in revenue in 2019, or a prorated amount if in business for less than a year;
    • Been in operation for at least three months prior to March 2020;
    • Experienced costs or losses of at least $20,000 since the Stay at Home order was put in place on March 21, 2020, due to closure or reduced operations as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic; and
    • Experienced recent property damage, exacerbating the economic impacts of COVID-19.

    DCEO and its grant administration partners are scheduled to post applications this week for review and questions. Applications will be accepted June 24 through July 1. Applicants who are selected for the grants should hear from grant administration partners by early July, and grants are scheduled to be disbursed by the end of July.

  • Harris urges local businesses to apply for Business Interruption Grants

    harris 102919CHICAGO – State Senator Napoleon Harris (D-Harvey) urges local businesses—particularly businesses in disproportionately impacted communities—to apply for more than $540 million in grant funding through the new Business Interruption Grant program. 

    “Disadvantaged communities need help now more than ever. Business owners are showing real determination to get through this pandemic, but it has been a challenge. This grant opportunity could provide the support they deserve,” Harris said. “I urge all local businesses in the area to apply for these grants to reduce some financial hardship.” 

    The Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity (DCEO) will offer $60 million in grants for the first round of BIG funding to small businesses harmed by the pandemic, many of whom have also seen damage as a result of recent civil unrest. The funds are intended to help small businesses stay viable through the pandemic, offset the cost of closures and restricted operations, and ensure they have the resources to reopen safely.

    Among other specific programs, DCEO plans to disburse $20 million across 1,000 grants of $20,000 each to businesses in disproportionately impacted areas with recent significant property damage. To qualify for these grants, businesses must have:

    • Brought in under $2 million in revenue in 2019, or a prorated amount if in business for less than a year;
    • Been in operation for at least three months prior to March 2020;
    • Experienced costs or losses of at least $20,000 since the Stay at Home order was put in place on March 21, 2020, due to closure or reduced operations as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic; and
    • Experienced recent property damage, exacerbating the economic impacts of COVID-19.

    DCEO and its grant administration partners are scheduled to post applications this week for review and questions. Applications will be accepted June 24 through July 1. Applicants who are selected for the grants should hear from grant administration partners by early July, and grants are scheduled to be disbursed by the end of July.

  • Holmes encourages barbershops and salons to apply for BIG grants

    salon 061820AURORA — Assistant Majority Leader Linda Holmes (D-Aurora) is encouraging salon and barbershop owners who suffered during the COVID-19 Stay at Home Order to apply for Business Interruption Grants through the Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity.

    “Salons and barbershops were some of the hardest hit businesses during the Stay at Home Order,” Holmes said. “They couldn’t provide their services online or to-go. They simply had to shut down entirely. I encourage all eligible businesses to apply if they had significant losses during this period.”

     

  • Governor enacts program to help closed, damaged business properties, Collins urges owners to apply

    collins 041119CHICAGO– Following Gov. JB Pritzker’s announcement today that his administration will launch a $636 million Business Interruption Grants program, State Senator Jacqueline Collins (D-Chicago) urged local business owners to apply.

    “I applaud the governor’s action today, and am gratified to see that one large part of it will be aimed at businesses in disproportionately impacted areas with recent significant property damage,” Collins said. “This shows an understanding of what business owners in these areas are going through and what help they need to stay afloat in light of the once-in-a-lifetime hardship they now face.”

    The Illinois Dept. of Commerce and Economic Opportunity will launch a first round of $60 million BIG grant funding for small businesses harmed by the pandemic, many of whom have also seen damage as a result of recent civil unrest. The funds are intended to help small businesses stay viable through the pandemic, help offset the costs of months of being shut down or restricted in their operations, and ensure they have the resources to reopen safely in the near future.

    Among other specific programs, DCEO plans to disburse $20 million across 1,000 grants of $20,000 each to businesses in disproportionately impacted area with recent significant property damage. Those who qualify for these grants include:

    • Businesses with under $2 million in revenue in 2019, or pro-rated amount if in business for less than a year. Such business must have in operation for at least three months prior to March 2020.
    • Applicants who can attest to experiencing costs or losses of at least $20,000 since the Stay at Home order was put in place on March 21, 2020 due to closure or reduced operations as a result of the COVID pandemic.
    • Businesses within a subset of DIAs that have experienced recent property damage, exacerbating the economic impacts of COVID.

    DCEO and its grant administration partners are scheduled to post applications this week for review and questions, with applications being accepted June 24 through July 1. Applicants who are selected for the grants should hear from grant administration partners by early July, and grants are scheduled to be disbursed by the end of July.

  • Hastings urges local business owners to take advantage of new grant program

    hastings 012920FRANKFORT – State Senator Michael E. Hastings is encouraging local business owners to take advantage of available grant money via the newly created Business Interruption Grant program.

    “While the governor is assessing what a full reopening of these facilities could look like, these grants will provide sorely needed financial assistance.” Hastings said. “Restaurants can provide curbside service and many other businesses can deliver or use teleconferencing methods, but gyms are among those businesses that have had to sacrifice for public safety. I appreciate their efforts to do so, and I encourage local business owners to apply for these grants as soon as they become active in the coming days.”

    The Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity will disperse $10 million dollars in relief funding for 500 fitness centers. Additionally, $20 million will allocated for bars and restaurants that have suffered losses due to COVID-19. In order to be eligible:

    • All applicants must attest to experiencing costs or losses of at least $20,000 since the Stay at Home order was put in place on March 21, 2020 due to closure or reduced operations as a result of the COVID pandemic.
    • A fitness facility must have made less than $2 million in revenue in 2019, or pro-rated revenue if in business for less than a year. Such businesses must have been operating for at least three months prior to March 2020.
    • Businesses must occupy a gym facility. Health or fitness service providers that provide remote services or travel to different sites/client locations without a permanent establishment open to members are not eligible. Facilities must submit proof of client agreement or other evidence of operation as a fitness center.
    • Eligible bars and restaurants will be those with under $3 million in revenue in 2019, or pro-rated amount if in business for less than a year. Business must have been an operating business for at least three months prior to March 2020.
    • Grant award will be $20,000 for restaurants earning $2-3 million in revenue in 2019 and $15K for restaurants/bars earning less than $2 million. 
    • Only bars and restaurants that have not provided outdoor food and beverage service during Phase 3 will be eligible. This could be for any reason including prohibition by local ordinance, lack of access to outdoor space, or financial infeasibility.

    Grants are given out on a first come, first serve basis, and will become available on Monday, June 22.

  • Van Pelt to hardest hit businesses: Help is available through new grants

    vanpelt 012820CHICAGO – State Senator Patricia Van Pelt (D-Chicago) joined Gov. Pritzker and members of the Black, Latino and Asian Caucuses to announce new grants that will help businesses that have faced extreme hardship due to COVID-19-related closures.

    “Many business owners fear that they have suffered past the point of recovery because they have done the right thing and closed to prevent the spread of COVID-19,” Van Pelt said. “But I am hopeful that these grants will help alleviate that damage and ensure these local businesses can look forward to a day when this crisis is behind us.”

    The Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity is directing the Business Interruption Grants (BIG) program, which allocates $636 million toward new grant initiatives. The first round of BIG grants is valued at $60 million and aims to offset the costs that businesses acquired during the COVID-19 pandemic as well as recent civil unrest. Grants are broken down by type of business as follows:

    • Businesses in Disproportionately Impacted Areas (DIAs) with Recent Significant Property Damage
      • 1,000 grants of $20,000.
    • Bars and Restaurants
      • 1,000 grants of $20,000.
      • 50% of grants will go to businesses in DIAs.
    • Barbershops and Salons
      • 1,000 grants of $10,000.
      • 50% of grants will go to businesses in DIAs.
    • Fitness Centers
      • 500 grants of $20,000.
      • 30% of grants will go to businesses in DIAs.

    Applications for these programs will open Monday, June 22 on the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity (DCEO) website and will remain open for 7-14 days. One week after the application period closes, grant administration partners will begin reaching out to recipients.