CHAMPAIGN – To help the many small business owners facing economic hardship as a result of the COVID-19 crisis, State Senator Scott Bennett (D-Champaign) announced Champaign and Vermilion County businesses will receive aid through the Business Interruption Grant (BIG) program.
“The BIG program is essential to small businesses who have been financially impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic,” Bennett said. “I’m pleased to see so many businesses take advantage of this grant opportunity, and I would like to see more apply while funding is still available.”
PARK FOREST – This Halloween, State Senator Patrick Joyce (D-Essex) is reminding drivers to keep themselves, other motorists and trick-or-treaters safe by never driving under the influence.
“Halloween may look a bit different due to the COVID-19 pandemic,” Joyce said. “I want to encourage folks to celebrate safely by following health guidelines and making plans for a sober ride home if you plan to drink.”
AURORA – As many businesses continue to struggle through the COVID-19 pandemic, State Senator Linda Holmes (D-Aurora) is encouraging small business owners to apply for the second round of the Business Interruption Grant (BIG) program, a key piece of the state’s pandemic response effort.
“Local businesses have confronted unmatched challenges during the COVID-19 pandemic, and I’m pleased we have another round of grants available to help them get back on their feet,” said Holmes. “Their resourcefulness and flexibility has helped them adapt to new safety guidelines, and I hope this program can give them the means to bounce back.”
The BIG program has allocated $220 million to Illinois small businesses in the second round, with priority given to businesses in regions under increased mitigation measures. BIG funds may be used to help businesses cover the costs of payroll, rent, utilities and other working capital during the time they have experienced interruptions due to the pandemic.
To ensure funds are distributed across the state and across business type, $60 million has been specifically allocated for heavily distressed industries, including indoor recreation facilities and amusement parks, and another $70 million has been set aside for businesses located in disproportionately impacted areas, or low-income areas that have experienced high rates of COVID-19. For a full list of eligible zip codes, click here.
The Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity awarded a total of $46 million to 2,655 small businesses in the first round of BIG funding earlier this year. Those grants went to Illinois restaurants and bars, barbershops and salons, and fitness centers. In the Aurora area, 33 local businesses received a combined $540,000.
“It was gratifying to see our local businesses get this boost in the first round of the BIG program,” Holmes said. “I encourage all affected businesses who haven’t yet applied to apply for funding as soon as possible.”
Applications for the second round of the BIG program are available now and can be found on DCEO’s website at Illinois.gov/dceo.
DANVILLE – With Halloween only days away, State Senator Scott Bennett (D-Champaign) is urging drivers and adults to take extra precautions this year to keep everyone safe.
“While Halloween celebrations may be different this year, it’s still important to plan for a sober ride home, especially while children are trick-or-treating in the dark,” Bennett said. “If your Halloween festivities are going to involve alcohol, plan ahead.”
EAST ST. LOUIS – State Senator Christopher Belt (D-Centreville) expressed his support for Thursday’s joint committee hearing on increasing diversity in labor unions, apprenticeship programs and the workforce.
“Diversity and inclusion are essential in creating a well-rounded, productive, successful labor force,” Belt said. “Labor unions and apprenticeship programs are enormously helpful to workers entering the industry. When we expand these services to reach people of color, it can enable more Illinoisans to find good-paying, lifelong careers.”
Read more: Belt expresses his support for increasing diversity in labor unions
ROCKFORD – State Senator Steve Stadelman (D-Rockford) is highlighting the second round of Business Interruption Grants the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity is awarding to Rockford businesses and other small business communities that have been hit the hardest by COVID-19-related losses and closures.
“Small businesses are the lifeblood of my community,” Stadelman said. “They need this grant money to endure, and I’m happy the state continues to prioritize communities like Rockford in these hard times.”
Forty Rockford-area small business will receive a total of over $1 million in this second round of BIG funding, which builds on the more than $49 million in grants awarded statewide in August. The Rockford area received nearly $2 million in grants during the first round, which ranged from $10,000 to $20,000 to assist businesses with expenses like payroll costs, rent, utilities, equipment and other possible unexpected costs to relieve the effects of the pandemic.
DOLTON – As local businesses continue to see financial losses from the COIVD-19 pandemic, State Senator Napoleon Harris (D-Harvey) urges small business to apply for the second round of the Business Interruption Grants.
“Small businesses need our support – now more than ever. They are a pillar of our local economy, and our state made it a priority to ensure they stay afloat,” Harris said. “I encourage small businesses to take advantage of this opportunity.”
Read more: Harris urges businesses to apply for second round of relief funding
PEMBROKE TOWNSHIP – State Senator Patrick Joyce (D-Essex) is encouraging local businesses and nonprofits to apply for Connect Illinois grants to help expand broadband to underserved communities.
“Businesses and schools continue to rely heavily on internet access to coordinate virtual learning and conduct business, yet so many communities lack access to a high-speed internet connection,” Joyce said. “These grants will help us expand broadband access more quickly, efficiently and effectively across our rural communities.”
Connect Illinois is the state’s $420 million plan to provide necessary internet access to every Illinois community by 2024. In the first round of grants, funding was awarded to 28 projects across Illinois, which are expected to expand internet access to more than 26,000 homes, businesses, farms and community institutions across the state.
Read more: Joyce announces grant money for broadband expansion
Page 548 of 707