Pressure builds for Senate to bail out Rauner
A deeper dive into the plan showed it actually may be unbalanced by more than $7 billion, according to analysts including the governor's own budget chief.
The Senate’s closely watched comprehensive budget plan could be voted on when lawmakers return to Springfield the week of Feb. 28.
On Thursday, Senate Democrats asked the governor’s budget chief to defend the unbalanced proposal. From the Chicago Tribune's report on that hearing:
Meanwhile, at the Capitol, Senate Democrats spent hours dismantling Rauner's budget proposal, hammering administration officials about the exact size of the plan's multibillion-dollar deficit.
By the end of the contentious hearing, Rauner budget director Scott Harry acknowledged the spending plan is $7.2 billion out of whack without various savings and revenues built into the proposal that rely on changes in law which are far from fruition.
Senate Democrats had a lot to say about the governor’s plan:
- Video: Legislative Black Caucus says enough is enough
- Senator Scott Bennett, Champaign: Lawmakers find governor’s budget address lacking (Champaign News-Gazette)
- Senator Jennifer Bertino-Tarrant, Shorewood: Joliet area legislators react to Rauner’s budget address (Joliet Herald-News)
- Senator Daniel Biss, Evanston: Reactions to Gov. Rauner’s budget address (The State Journal-Register, Springfield)
- Senator Melinda Bush, Grayslake: Rauner delivers annual state budget address (WSIL-TV, Carterville)
- Senator Cristina Castro, Elgin: Castro response to governor’s budget proposal (The Courier-News, Elgin)
- Senator James Clayborne, Belleville: Rauner will sign off on Senate budget plan with some conditions (KPLR-TV, St. Louis)
- Senator Don Harmon, Oak Park: Rauner talks tax hikes, need for compromise, drawing Democratic laughter (Chicago Tribune)
- Senator Michael Hastings, Tinley Park: Emanuel mocks Rauner with pledge of $1,000 to charity for evidence of budget plan (Chicago Tribune)
- Senator David Koehler, Peoria: Peoria Democratic lawmakers frustrated (Peoria Public Radio)
- Senator Terry Link, Vernon Hills: Rauner’s budget speech draws mix of support, signs and snickers (Chicago Sun-Times)
- Senator Andy Manar, Bunker Hill: Reactions to Gov. Rauner’s budget address (The State Journal-Register, Springfield)
- Senator Pat McGuire, Joliet: Joliet area legislators react to Rauner’s budget address (Joliet Herald-News)
- Senator Kwame Raoul, Chicago: Rauner offers tax-hike guidance to end Illinois budget stalemate (CBS Chicago)
- Senator Heather Steans, Chicago: Rauner talks tax hikes, need for compromise, drawing Democratic laughter (Chicago Tribune)
Copyright 2017 - Illinois Senate Democratic Caucus - All Rights Reserved